Saturday, May 24, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Rift In The Franchise Plot

I've seen the majority of the films from this franchise and know what happens to each of the characters from this franchise. I know that X3 and X-Men Origins screwed everything out of whack, but I did like The Wolverine.

The major problem with this film is the whole line that this movie crossed out for the sake of the franchise.

X-Men: Days of Future Past tells the story of a future where mutants are hunted by sentinels, robots that attack mutants, based off of the DNA of Raven/Mystique, played by Jennifer Lawrence. With the unlikely combination of the latter Professor Xavier and Magneto, played by Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen respectively, Logan/Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman, must travel back in time to a time before the capture of Raven/Mystique to prevent the sentinels to ever attack mutants in the first place.

The cast was phenomenal. Of course, Jennifer Lawrence was amazing with her acting here, but I did prefer her acting in First Class than this one. She really can pull off this sort of murderous villain bent on the ideals of the earlier Erik Lehnsherr, played by Michael Fassbender.

Hugh Jackman of course was great as he always is in the X-Men movies. I felt there was a good balance between Wolverine and the X-Men in terms of the point of view. There was no skew, and I felt that everything looked good overall.

The action was great. I mean, this could have been the best X-Men movie, but one thing really changed my opinion of that.

I may have said too much, but there is something about the second half of this movie that caused me to think that the X-Men that we know is not the X-Men that we know now. I really did like the action and the power of the first half of the film, and I felt that if Bryan Singer would have followed the direction where the movie was going, it would have turned out great.

The theme of the middle of the movie was hope, provided by Professor Xavier in the future talking to Charles Xavier, played by James McAvoy, of the past. I loved that part because of Xavier's tying in of hope to be the basis of civilization and revitalization. But I guess it wasn't enough whenever the film took a drastic turn in the franchise's plot.

I really want to say 5.

But.

I give this movie a 3/5.





No comments:

Post a Comment