Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Vertigo - Bad Detective; Interesting Plot Twists

Before watching this movie, my English teacher warned us that this movie would change our lives (not as much as I think that The Fault in Our Stars will change my life, but that's beside the point).

Well I did like the recurring motifs; plus, I felt like the ending sort of needed to happen for the sake of the plot.

Vertigo tells the story of John Ferguson, played by James Stewart, an ex-detective who suffers from acrophobia assigned to tackle on a case concerning his old friend Gavin Elster, played by Tom Helmore, and his wife Madeleine Elster's, played by Kim Novak, psychological condition.

The one thing that I did not like was the plot holes that the movie had. For one, it is so obvious that John is following Madeleine to the point where it is ridiculous that she does not see him. The other thing about this character is that we see him to be a bit more creepier with his tone that he needs to be. There are instances where we are not supposed to laugh but we do because of the way this actor acts.

Then again, given that this is an old movie, I can't say that the humor of the time period shouldn't affect my review of the film too much.

Furthermore, the movie seemed to drag on a lot because of certain emotions needing to be conveyed for some reason. Some scenes could have been shortened on the account of how long the entire film was.

Once again, the movie could have been designed that way because of the norm of the time period. For right now, teens will probably not like the length of the movie because of how it stings along.

Also, there wasn't a lot of development with Midge Wood, played by Barbara Bel Geddes. I mean I did like the character and her attitudes, but I think that she could have been crucial to the plot than she appeared to be.

Other than this, all I have to say is that the metaphors and the motifs are on point. The necklace. The clothing. The portrait. It all seems believable up until the plot twist. And even the plot twist was surprising. I wasn't expecting it, but I think that movies that give me a surprise are good movies.

The ending was necessary. I'm not sure what my peers thought of the movie, but I think that the ending was the best way to wrap up the movie. I would not have been satisfied with anything else now that I think about it.

I give this movie a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment