Monday, May 26, 2014

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn - Can the UNSC Be Trusted?

Before watching this movie, I knew that the brother of Grace Helbig, a famous YouTuber, had something to do with this film.

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn tells the story of Thomas Lansky, played by Tom Green, a freshman cadet at Corbulo Academy who is portrayed as a sort of rebel, against the idea of structure and deemed to be one of the troublesome cadets in the squad.

The opening scene features a run-down of all of the cadets working to win a war against a people known as the Isolationists. They all have different viewpoints of the military academy and their mission, each aware that they must be in a clear mindset ready to kill. I feel that this movie already gives a feel as to a divide between the squad.

I feel like Tom's character is someone we can really root for. The conflicted cadet who is torn between following the norm and achieving success by his own means. We feel sorry for Thomas Lansky who has to endure the struggles of being a cadet, shamed by his own fellow peers. However, we congratulate Thomas for his efforts at achieving success.

This movie reminds me of Ender's Game, a sci-fi story of Ender Wiggins who goes off to Battle School to fight off the aliens in the upcoming war. I am excited to see what turns this movie takes to further interest me in this world of space cadets fighting for a better tomorrow.

The whole ambiguity of duplicity is what drives this movie. With each secret that is unlocked for us, the more questioning we are of how the academy runs and what sorts of true conflicts exist between the Isolationists and the UNSC.

Having seen everything, all I got to say is wow. Nearing the end, I felt a shroud of doubt that the movie could go beyond the whole idea of the ambiguous common enemy. But I felt like it was a pretty good movie. A good sense of closure.

I give this movie a 4/5.


No comments:

Post a Comment