Friday, March 28, 2014

Total Recall - Futuristic Action and Adventure = Awesome Blend

Before watching this movie, I only knew about a couple of things. For one, it is your typical sci-fi action movie. Second, the movie features a woman with three boobs (sorry for that non-PG thing). Third, that it is a remake of a previous movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger, and lastly, that it has to do with some guy getting messed with his mind.

Yeah. Bryan Cranston can surely play a great villain.

Total Recall tells the story of Douglas Quaid, played by Colin Farrell, a factory worker living in a futuristic world where only Britain and Australia are the only habitable places on Earth. Seeking for more adventure, Doug goes to a place called Rekall, a company designed to give you fake memories to make your life feel better. Turns out that the Rekall personnel figure out that Doug is actually a spy in real life and gets "greeted" by the police, and the story picks up from there.

I do love the action sequences in Total Recall. I feel like they kept me on my feet and never stopped getting boring. I did like the futuristic dynamic to Total Recall. That is what really drives the plot of Total Recall: seeing all these new technologies that seem incredulous to us. From the screens on the glass to the hovering cars to synthetic police, it all seems really interesting.

Of course, Bryan Cranston was a positive feature in this film. I felt that everything made sense and it was not too hard to follow everything that was happening.

A bit too much gloating on Bryan Cranston's part. I did feel that the villain does give too much leeway to the hero, and the whole shred of hope stuff is something that you have to deal with in this movie. I, as of right now, still do not understand the logic behind keeping someone that dangerous alive, but I can see it in the light of Bryan Cranston's memory.

In comparison to other double-crossing movies (i.e. The Bag Man), this makes sense because of the loss of memory on Doug's part. I feel that although the plot was a huge thing to tackle on, that is what makes Total Recall a good movie.

I give this movie a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment