Saturday, March 29, 2014

Captain Phillips - Open Mouth With A Rush of Blood

Before watching this movie, all I knew was that this movie's been blown up everywhere. Lots of people have been surprised for me not watching this film yet. I wasn't too sure to think about the film, but I think that any film with Tom Hanks can be great.

Wow. Best film I've seen by far.

Captain Phillips tells the story of Richard Phillips, played by Tom Hanks, a captain of a ship that ends up getting hijacked by a group of Somali pirates led by Abduwali Muse, played by Barkhad Abdi.

To be honest, you know what's going to go down. Within the first ten minutes of the movie, I knew that it was going to be Tom Hanks vs. a gang of Somali pirates. However, I think that the way that the movie set everything up was perfect.

Hats off to Tom Hanks in this movie. He can really act. Everything that he portrayed, I actually can believe, and I think that that's the true mark of an actor.

Historically, I was aware of the actual events that are happening off of the coast of Somalia: pirates capturing crew and cargo in exchange for money from the mother country. I think this is a great film for teachers to show in class to explain what's happening in that part of Africa. The thing that really got me was the dialogue between Richard Phillips and Abduwali Muse about there being a better life than fishing and capturing people for money. It was really powerful.

The suspense really got me in this film. Any time that I felt that anything was good, the next second something happens, and I got excited. Truly, what drives this film is the level of suspense that the movie puts forth in its plot; well, that and the huge amount of orchestral work that the film did to build up suspense as well.

If there is one movie that I would watch over again, I would watch Captain Phillips. Everything in this movie made sense. I am amazed by how good that movie was.

I give this movie a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment