Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Need For Speed - Yeah, That Car Would Have Been So Totaled

All I knew was Aaron Paul and Need for Speed. When it comes to Aaron Paul, I was expecting at least one good "Yeah, BITCH!" in the movie. Not necessary, hut it would have been fulfilling for the sake of my love for Breaking Bad. When it comes to Need for Speed, obviously all I knew was the whole video game chain that kids like us in the 90s couldn't get enough of.

But this combo did not fail to disappoint for the production of a movie. Let me express some of the pros and cons.

Need for Speed tells the story of Tobey Marshall, played by Aaron Paul, a racer in small town New York who witnesses Dino Brewster, played by Dominic Cooper, kill Little Pete Coleman, played by Harrison Gilbertson, in a race for big bucks. Out of prison for being wrongly convicted, Tobey Marshall goes across the country to try to join a famous underground race hosted by Monarch, played by Michael Keaton, in an attempt to prove his own innocence. 

First off, let me just say that this is a truly unrealistic movie. Of course, no movie is ultimately the definition of reality in any sense, but yes: the car should have been totaled way beforehand in reality. Yes: Benny, played by Scott Mescudi(AKA. Kid Cudi), should have gotten in trouble for flying earlier than he did. However, for the sake of this being a racing movie with Fast and Furious-esque proportions, I'm willing to let that go.

The plot took off a bit late, but it was a well thought out story line with well-conceived characters. Everything turned out just how I imagined it would be for the plot every step of the way.

Very suspenseful in many parts of the movie; kept me on the edge of my seat in a few points.

I can see why someone would not like the movie, as the plot is a bit slow to develop. It was also kind of confusing to tell which character was in which car, something that any racing movie should clearly point out.

Anyway, Aaron Paul stole the show. Nice cars. Nice plot. Nice ending. Good acting. Really good humor. I did feel as if the humor sort of dragged on for some parts, but hey, it's Kid Cudi, man. Kid Cudi was hilarious in this movie. 

I give this movie a 4/5.


No comments:

Post a Comment