Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Donnie Darko - Time Travel With Creepy Bunny, Crazy but Goodie

Before watching this movie, I saw parts of this movie at a friend's house and knew somewhat about the bunny at the beginning.

Crazy but goodie. Probably won't watch this again though.

Donnie Darko tells the story of Donnie Darko, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, a teenage boy who experiences late night sleepwalking every single night. He is caught up with a sort of psychological issue with this image of a bunny in a suit talking to him. His family thinks he is crazy, but his family does manage to set up arrangements to meet a psychiatrist. Furthermore, Donnie does not have a lot of friends.

The scenes with the bunny were creepy, but I think that that is what drove the curiosity and thrill from this movie. The whispery voice still makes me get chills. I liked it.

Another element that fit well with the movie was this whole mystery element. I didn't know what to think about the movie since it seemed that bits and pieces of the story kind of scattered itself all throughout the film. However, it was interesting to find out certain things and then finally piece it all together at the end of the film.

The crazy angles and effects that were seen in the movie seemed really out of the ordinary when I first saw them. At the end, I finally realized what it all meant. I did have to look at some articles in the Internet to understand what was happening on a sort of dimensional level.

Although it seems that at a point the film starts to do too much in terms of adding a bunny and the bunny talking about space-time continuum, I think that in order to fully enjoy this movie, you have to wait until the movie is over then understand what the ending means.

In terms of the actors, Jake Gyllenhaal was really great. I felt like Donnie's mother, played by Mary McDonnell, really took on this sort of aggressive yet caring character that I liked. I also like the compatibility that Donnie and Gretchen, played by Jena Malone, sort of gave off as well.

I give this movie a 5/5.



No comments:

Post a Comment