Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Guilt Trip - Heartwarming Rogen Comedy

Before watching this movie, I saw Seth Rogen and I immediately thought about all the possible sarcastic ways that he could make this movie interesting.

Yep. I liked it more than I thought I would.

The Guilt Trip tells the story of Andy Brewster, played by Seth Rogen, a man seeking to get his renewable cleaning product sold across the nation who lets his mother Joyce Brewster, played by Barbra Streisand, tag along for the ride.

Building off of what I already said about Seth Rogen, I can see him as the momma's boy, and the movie does a really good job of characterizing Seth Rogen as this sort of dorky, smart, egocentric character who has to keep himself in check when it comes to his mother. Barbra Streisand also does a really good job with the mother character who is always in some way quarreling against her son but loving him at the same time.

I do agree with what a lot of critics say: that the comedy may not be the comedy that we're used to when it comes to heart-warming sorts of movies. In fact, I'd say that this comedy would appeal to a sort of limited audience, filled with sarcasm and puns. I found that a lot of the small breaks in between "funny" parts were a bit too unrealistic.

I did like the overall plot and scheme of things. If you watch this movie, you will reflect on yourself as a child of your mother, just like the ending made it out to be. I felt like personally, there are things about The Guilt Trip that apply to my mother's relationship with me.

The one thing that really got me was the truths that Joyce had over her son, that no matter how old your mother gets, there is always something that your mother has over you in some way.

I give this movie a 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment