Saturday, April 19, 2014

Oculus - Mirror of Illusions Actually Does Stuff in the Last 30 Minutes

Before watching this movie, all I knew was that the chick in the movie is hot and that the plot had something to do with a freaky mirror. 

Yep. I am not impressed. 

Oculus tells the story of Kaylie Russell, played by Karen Gillan, and Tim Russell, played by Brenton Thwaites, a pair of siblings bound to combat the supernatural force of an old mirror that killed their parents: Marie Russell, played by Katee Sackhoff, and Alan Russell, played by Rory Cochrane. 

The one key factor to this movie is the use of flashback. In my opinion, the director's use of flashback is too confusing to follow, especially toward the end of the film. You see the younger versions of the siblings, played by Annalise Basso and Garrett Ryan, experience one thing and a sudden transition occurs back to the main plot. 

I'm not going to lie. I liked the idea of the mirror's powers and things like that, confusing the people who go against the mirror. I liked that idea because it always kept people guessing whether something was real or not. 

However, there was this huge complicated back-story that needed to be explained before anything happened that took up most of the movie. Once we were up to speed, that was when I started to catch on and pay attention. 

I liked the emotional drama side to the movie more than the supposed horror part of the film. The craziness of it was a tragedy, but the movie always had to tie back to the mirror in some way. 

Walking out of Oculus, I knew that this would be one of those movie that I would never watch again. Yes, it was nuts, but I did not see the true point in the movie.

I give this movie a 3/5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment