Sunday, June 15, 2014

American Psycho - The Psycho Within Us All

Before watching this movie, I had no idea what this movie was about. It was just another suggestion for me to watch on Netflix.

Terrifying and intriguing. American Psycho really does something special with its themes.

American Psycho tells the story of Patrick Bateman, played by Christian Bale, a businessman with a tendency to want things in certain ways with no one in his way, basically the American Psycho. I couldn't really see a lot of clear-cut antagonists in the film. I guess Patrick himself was Patrick's enemy, not to mention the craziness of the people that he's had to endure.

The opening scene features the handling of some food on a platter as the opening credits roll out onto the gorgeous scene of a fancy eatery. In this eatery are Patrick Bateman and his closest associates.

I guess the opening showed the audience the stylish life that comes along with Patrick and people in his field. We don't really get a sense of Patrick being a psycho; instead, we get the sense that Patrick is just an ordinary guy like everyone else. It isn't until later on that we discover Patrick's mannerisms and actions that we start to become skeptical of this character that Patrick Bateman is becoming.

I didn't get this film at first. I didn't get this film until Patrick himself brought me to clarity in the end. And once I saw what the theme was, I couldn't unsee it. It's not so much of a big secret, but the idea is that everyone has this sort of facade that they have to cover the reality behind that mask. Though this is clearly shown with Patrick Bateman, many other of these business tycoons and Patrick's victims have a clear facade within them.

I actually might end up watching this movie again just to get a sense of the thought-provoking ideas that Patrick brings up. It's something to think about, that's for sure.

I give this movie a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment