Saturday, June 14, 2014

Maleficent - Villain's Logic Makes Sense

Before watching this movie, there was so much hype about it in commercials on TV, so I had to see it with the little ones.

Exceeded my expectations. No lie.

Maleficent tells the story of Maleficent, played by Angelina Jolie, a fairy caught up in a conflict between two kingdoms in the land. She falls in love with a human named Stefan, played by Sharito Copley, only to find that later on Stefan betrays her. Maleficent takes it upon herself to put a curse on King Stefan's daughter Aurora, played by Elle Fanning, in vengeance.

The opening scene features Maleficent's voice over explanation to the conflict between the two kingdoms and her place in her kingdom. I have to say that Disney is doing a great job with the CGI backgrounds. All of the art that is the awesome live action beauty of Maleficent must be appreciated first off.

Disney did something that I saw them and Pixar do with Up. I saw them take the audience through a range of emotions in the first ten minutes of the film, tearing on our heart strings to make this movie memorable. After that, however, there are fewer and fewer moments that are as valuable as those first couple of minutes.

I liked Maleficent as a character. The mystery and majestic nature that she evokes in her younger years. The way that she rose to become a vengeful villain in the eyes of the other kingdom. Maleficent is a force to be reckoned with.

I have to say that the only thing that I didn't like so much about this movie was the spontaneity. But once again, Disney is famous for having the most spontaneous moments to introduce a plot twist. I like when Disney is trying to get emotions across. Disney does a good job of that. However, Disney should not make moments so spontaneous. I mean, look what Disney did with Frozen.

Overall, the movie is really fun to follow and is a must-see until the very end.

I give this movie a 4/5.


No comments:

Post a Comment