Thursday, June 12, 2014

About Last Night - Golden Comedy, Sucky Plot

Before watching this movie, all I knew was that Kevin Hart was in this movie. Of course, I'd want to see this movie because of how funny I think Kevin Hart is.

Well the comedy was on point, but I think that everything else was just so transparent.

About Last Night tells the story of Danny, played by Michael Ealy, a friend of the woman-loving Bernie, played by Kevin Hart, who comes across a woman by the name of Joan, played by Regina Hall. Simultaneously, Danny starts to develop a little something for Joan's friend Debbie, played by Joy Bryant.

The opening scene introduces us to the two guys, Danny and Bernie, each on completely different spectrums of life. While Danny is going through a break-up from a girl so dear to him, Bernie is at the top of his game in terms of women.

I think that the good thing about Bernie being played by Kevin Hart is the exaggeration in the way that he acts. The more that we see Bernie in the movie, the more that we like where the movie is headed. Even though that Bernie is not the main protagonist, we wish he would be.

The entire plot between Danny and Debbie seems so pathetic. I am certain that not a lot of the things about the relationship would stick in the audience's mind. I feel like the back and forth between Bernie and Joan was more entertaining than the placid love interest between Danny and Debbie.

The one thing I liked about the movie was the portrayal of how life converges in many different ways, sometimes not in your favor. However, the movie doesn't really teach anything. It's just a good laugh when Kevin Hart shows up, then everything else is just nothing.

I give this movie a 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment