Monday, February 17, 2014

Moneyball - Statistics Will/Will NOT Pull Through

To start off, I knew nothing about this movie other than that Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt were featured in it. I admire Jonah Hill because of his comedic element and Brad Pitt is always a thrill to watch.

Post actually watching the film, I have a couple of words to get across.

So the story of Moneyball goes that scout Billy Beane, played by Brad Pitt, wishes to turn the Oakland A's inside out to feature the best of baseball even without major players that the team just lost. Beane recruits a man by the name of Peter Brand, played by Jonah Hill, to be his assistant general manager and crunch some numbers to create the perfect team out of the little money the Oakland A's have.

For one, watching the first ten minutes of the movie made me think about hope. Well, actually that's a lie. The first ten minutes of the movie had me thinking, "Why on Earth would I be watching a baseball movie?" I mean, I didn't like those Sandlot stories that I always saw on VHS growing up. I didn't like baseball movies that Disney had to offer. So what made me think that there would be some sort of baseball movie that would not gouge my eyes out?

However, this story does not even begin to take on the Sandlot stories that I saw that bored me to death. No. This story takes the soul of anyone watching the film and leads it on through the entire movie. Never was I bored; every scene had its purpose and made sense as a whole.

Now about hope. Brad Pitt does an amazing job getting across the character of Billy Beane, always showing the mix of both distraught and aggression. From the beginning, we see that he has this element of hope that he holds dear to himself. Even the younger actor who played young Beane got across that same element of hope that you could see on Brad Pitt's face.

Peter Brand at first seems like an awkward character, only there to give Billy Beane statistical advice. However, throughout the story, Peter Brand becomes a necessary feature of the film as a whole. The reason behind the character of Peter Brand is to give the friendly reminder that Billy Beane could have been at a higher intellectual level, almost as that of Peter Brand himself.

This film gave me a more particular view about the world behind baseball. Slugging a bat around was all I saw; now I see the more executive views on baseball and the causes and effects about everything that happens behind the scenes.

I give this film a 5/5




No comments:

Post a Comment